The Excellence in Education Fund and Committee is a designated fund within the Wet Mountain Valley Community Foundation (WMVCF) and was founded to help address pressing educational needs for our community youth that fall outside the resources provided by the public school system. The result is a three-way partnership between the committee, the WMVCF, and the C-1 School District of Custer County. The committee has been operating for ten years and is administered by the WMVCF, which acts as the sponsoring 501c-3 organization.
Some of our projects:
- new mathematics curriculum in grades 1-9
- support for digital curriculum
- teacher training
- support for the arts programs
- supplies including textbooks, calculators, Chromebooks, and projectors.
- we fund the volunteer program that began in 2010. The program coordinator matches community volunteers with students and teachers at all grade levels.
- in August 2012, we launched the Adopt-A-Class program (AAC) which connects individual community resources with a teacher, class, grade, or program.
This year we will continue to fund the requests made by the school administration like field trips for every grade, Chromebooks for every English classroom, materials and teacher training to implement new programs – ALEX program, TSGold, and the Kagan Initiative for cooperative learning.
Contact the Foundation for more information on the Excellence in Education Committee fund.